Liposuction is the most popular cosmetic procedure performed in America.
The procedure removes unwanted fat from areas of the body such as the abdomen, back, chin, hips, thighs, and arms. While many people may be familiar with traditional liposuction under general anesthesia; there is also a newer and safer technique known as liposuction under local anesthesia. While searching for the best liposuction doctor for you, here are some considerations: How experienced is my cosmetic surgeon, how many procedures does my cosmetic surgeon perform each day, where will my surgery take place, and what equipment will be used to perform my liposuction surgery?
Unlike traditional liposuction, which requires general anesthesia and a longer recovery period— liposuction under local anesthesia allows patients to remain awake during the procedure. This technique involves injecting a local anesthetic into the targeted areas of the body to numb; allowing the surgeon to remove excess fat without causing discomfort.
One of the main benefits of liposuction under local anesthesia is that it becomes a less invasive procedure than traditional liposuction. As a result, patients experience less pain and swelling, and the recovery time is typically shorter. In addition, because patients are not under general anesthesia, there is a much lower risk of complications.
Another advantage of liposuction under local anesthesia is that it is a more precise procedure. Because patients are awake, the surgeon can ask them to move or adjust their position during the surgery— this allows for more accurate removal of excess fat. Additionally, because the procedure is performed under local anesthesia, patients can return home the same day, which means they can recover in the comfort of their own home.
Of course, as with any surgical procedure, there are risks associated with liposuction under local anesthesia. These risks include bleeding, infection, and uneven or lumpy results. However, these risks are generally minimal when the procedure is performed by a qualified and experienced surgeon.
At bŏdze plastic surgery center; our providers have over 50 years of combined cosmetic surgery experience and have performed over 20,000 liposuction procedures.
If you are considering liposuction under local anesthesia, it is important to speak with a qualified surgeon to determine if it is the right choice for you. Your surgeon will be able to evaluate your medical history and current health status to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Additionally, your surgeon will be able to discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure, as well as any alternative options that may be available.
Selecting a Surgeon
- Research: Use reputable online sources, such as the American Society of Surgeons, to find board-certified surgeons in your area who specialize in liposuction.
- Credentials: Check the surgeon’s credentials, including their education, training, and experience. Look for a surgeon who has performed many liposuction procedures and has a good reputation.
- Reviews: Read online reviews from previous patients to get an idea of the surgeon’s bedside manner and the quality of their work.
- Consultations: Schedule consultations with potential surgeons to discuss your goals, concerns, and expectations. This will also give you an opportunity to ask questions and get a sense of the surgeon’s communication style and approach to patient care.
- Cost: Consider the cost of the procedure, but don’t let it be the only deciding factor. It’s important to prioritize quality and safety over cost.
What about the digs?
In the state of Florida, liposuction can be performed compliantly in a variety of settings, including hospital operating rooms, outpatient surgical centers, and even in-office settings. The specific type of operating room used for liposuction will depend on the individual surgeon and their preferred practice. It is essential to discuss the surgeon’s preferred setting and any potential risks or benefits with them prior to undergoing the procedure. Here is a healthy list of questions you may want to ask during your consultation:
- Where will my procedure be performed? We would also highly encourage you to tour the space so you can get an idea of the practice: sterility, technology, space, and volume.
- What kind of equipment will you be using during my liposuction procedure? Liposuction equipment costs range from a couple of thousand dollars to $250,000 devices; don’t be shy to find out what kind of investment your surgery center is making in you and their practice.
- Who will be in the room with you? It’s important to ask who will accompany the surgeon in your procedure to ensure you have a healthy-sized, capable surgery team. When it comes to surgery, teamwork truly makes the dream work.
- How many procedures do you perform each day? This is a valid question and will help you determine what kind of practice you are consulting at. Are they a high-volume facility where you will be a number? Is this a boutique practice where your surgery will be handled with care and intimacy?
- Who will I be talking to if I need you? One of the most important questions to ask yourself is, who will be there for me after my surgery center has “cashed the check?” Will I be calling a new girl at the front desk? Do they have a designated concierge for post-operative patients? What if something happens at night or on the weekend?
In conclusion, liposuction under local anesthesia is a safe and effective way to remove excess fat from the body. If you are considering liposuction, call our office to set up an in-person consultation at no cost to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure and if we are the best fit to help you reach your goals.